Kaylor

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

 

George Kaylor writes to his mother





George Emmanuel Kaylor's father, Henry Kaylor, died in 1862. He died intestate and the property was sold to divide the estate. It is clear from the letter below that George was very unhappy with the outcome.





Hanover Station, Va .. May the 25 1862 .. Dear Mother .. I again take my pen in Hand to Drop you A few lines to let you know that I am well .. Hoping that when these few Lines comes to Hand will find you all well .. I received your Letter A few Days ago and was glad to Hear that you was all well .. you stated in your Letter that they had Sold my mair at the sale and I want to know why they did Sell Her and with what authority they Had to Sell Her ..I am not sattisfied that they Sold Her .. I want you to Let me know why they Sold my mair .. if I git Back.. I give Some of them Hell and I want you to let me know whether they Sold my Hogs and Bees or not .. they might as well Sell my Hogs and Bees as to Sell my mair .. you stated in Your Letter that they Had give you nothing But a cow and a calf and too Sheep .. I want to know who the men was that Laid off your Dowery .. they never give you Half enough and if I can ever git Home I intend to see to it my self .. I will now tell you that I Have traveled through virginia all over and we are now in 10 miles from Richmond and are going closer to Richmond to Day .. they Had Been fighting Below Richmond yesterday and our men whiped them and run them back and they are Looking for a fight any day at Richmond now .. But I cant Say whether it will Be or not .. I Have not time to rite much now for we must fix to move again .. we move evry Day .. and we must go to day again .. write to me as Soon as this comes to Hand and Let me Know how you are Giting along .. So no more at this time .. only Remains your son until Death .. George E. Kayler to Elizabeth Kayler .. Direct your Letter to Richmond va in care of capt T J Linebarger .. 28 Regt NC troops Co C . Afew lines to David .. I want you to take care of my Hogs and Bees .. if they Haint Sold them .. and you must git Some ????? to cart the Bees .. So you git Honey to eat and if they Swarm Hive them and take care of them.





Camp Gregg Naer Fredricksburg va Febuary the 4 1863 .. Dear Mother .. I This morning take my seat With pleasure to Drop you a few Lines to Let you Know That I am well at this time Hoping when my few Lines comes to Hand will find you all in good Health .. I have nothing of Importance to write .. I can say to you that David Sipe and Marcus Miller have got to the Regiment and are Both stout .. I will now tell you that the Regiment is in good health at this time and they Apear to Be anxious to meet the yankees at any time .. Dear Mother I am glad to hear that you Have corn Enough to Do you and if you need anthing take Some of my money and Buy it no matter what it costs and I will try to git along the Best I can .... I can say to you that it is a Hard way to git along But I will try and git along the Best way I can .. I Cant say when I will come Home But you may Be sure that I will come the firs chance I git .. and I think that I will git to come home this spring if I can .. and if I cant come this Spring I will come the first chance I git .. I got the socks you sent to me by David Sipe and I was glad to git them for I Did need them ... I had Bought one pair and paid one Dollar and a half for them .. So I think I can make out now with what I have got .. and I Also got the sweet cake you Sent and I was glad to git it ... as I have no news of anything I will Come to A Close By asking you to write to me as soon as this comes to Hand and give me all the news you have .. so nothing more at present .. only Remains your Son untill Death .. G E Kayler to Elizabeth Kayler .. I will write to Catherine in A few Days and to David .. G E Kayler .. I will send this in David Sipes Letter and you can git it there




Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]